19.7.10

Trip to Italy part 1: Sicily

First Stop Sicily. What a great place! I loved it! My grandparents have a house there in the town of Modica.. My grandparents grew up there and we were actually staying in the house that my grandfather was born in. I was there once when I was four - but of course dont remeber anything.. lol This place is undescribaly beautiful! It is a ravine, and there are caves going up it as well as the houses! Some of them date back years before christ. The roads are so small, as well as the cars. It was breathtaking and I loved every minute of it! I was so excited that my BFF cousin Lisa got to come with me! It was great spending the itme with her and getting to know my grandparents better and enjoying our time. We dont always see eye to eye...






We saw a castle! It was cool.

We got to watch Ricotta get made and then eat it along with 5 other courses... WOW we were stuffed but good food and family is always a good time!

My Aunt made homemade pasta and sauce a few times and I miss it so much! It was great!

Lisa and I 'Drove' a vespa.. lol

But I really did get to drive a car through Modica! It was great! Even though people there have really no driving rules or concpet of safe driving at all. :)


These two above are from the town Toaormina, it is a fort on a hill and a huge tourist spot. It was the most touristy thing that we did the trip.


We discovers a new tradition.. Couples buy locks and bring it with their loves to a railing that is on a bridge or in this case on a cliff. You snap it on together and throw the keys over the side. They are everywhere and I love them! I bought Alex one from coincidentally 'Cappello's Harware' store... We are hopeing to put in somewhere in Columbus where we met. Lisa got onefor Lewie in Rome and it is now on the Walkway over the Hudson!

Hands down the best pizza I have ever had!


Nona, Nono and I at my cousins beach house( p.s. they all have them... boo hoo)


At the beach
I loved that randomly I get to see a personal favorite of mine in a little alley next to a church.


My cousin Daniela and Lisa. LOOK AT THOSE FILLED CROISSANTS! MMMMMMM

THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE I HAVE EVER SEEN! You can literally walk right in. It is an abandoned church at the top of this hill that you can see the entire city of Scicilli.

Lisa got to meet horses at this great ranch that we went to with my cousin. There are caves that date back 5,000 b.c. We even to walk a river bed that had been dried to over a tousand years and cut its way through the ravine we were in.


Homemade Limoncello

Home made nochi. DELISH

One of the most beautiful churches: San Giorgio. It is fantastic!

This is my grandmothers ( Nona's) Godmother. This woman in 97 years old! She was the sweetest old lady! She was telling about helping my great grandmother give birth to Nona.
Nona took me to the area and where she lived and showed me her house growing up. It was great.
This was the highest point in the ravine we were in what they call Modica Alta.

This was the view from my great grand parents house! WE LOVED IT


The family... What a bunch of fabulos people who will give you anything that you need. I had a balst and honestly can not wait to go back! I am already looking forward to my next visit! I couldnt even begin to express how much fun this all was!

Next is Rome...
Stay Tuned for Part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment